Touraine Castles

Château et Jardins de Villandry

The history of the Château de Villandry begins in the Middle Ages.On these lands, a fortified castle was erected, the keep of which remains today.In 1536, Jean Breton, finance minister of François I, built a castle in the architectural style characteristic of the second Renaissance.Between the 16th century and the 19th century, the Château de Villandry changed owners several times and underwent numerous transformations.This was particularly the case in the 18th century under the Marquis de Castellane and later when the French gardens gave way to a generous English-style park.

Optional button

Château d’Azay-le-Rideau

Built between 1518 and 1523, the Château d'Azay-le-Rideau is located in Indre-et-Loire in the Loire Valley.This French Renaissance-style Château de la Loire (with Italianate inspirations) has been a listed historical monument since April 18, 1914.The history of this castle begins in 1119 when a first fortress was built by Ridel d'Azay, one of the first lords, in order to control the road between Chinon and Tours.Subsequently, this fortress was destroyed in 1418 by Charles VII.At the end of the 15th century, Martin Berthelot, master of the King's Chamber of Deniers, became the owner of this estate.The castle that we know today was built for the most part in the 16th century, by the mayor of Tours and the treasurer of King François 1er, Gilles Berthelot.Today, the Château d'Azay-le-Rideau, nicknamed the jewel, is the property of the State.

Optional button

Château Royal d’Amboise

The Château Royal d'Amboise is located in Indre-et-Loire, in Amboise. It is of Gothic and Renaissance style, and is part of the Châteaux de la Loire.
This Loire Valley castle is open all year round, so it gives you the opportunity to discover its gigantic monument as well as its landscaped gardens offering a superb view of the Loire Valley.
The site of the castle was occupied from the Gallic period. Gradually, this site developed, first of all it was an oppidum, then a church, to become thereafter a castle.
This building, of private property, has been classified as a Historic Monument since 1840. Its monumental fortress-palace is the very last great royal fortified castle built in France today. It dates from the time of Charles VII (1483-1498), comprising two impressive cylindrical towers housing a gently sloping ramp, the latter thus allowing the passage of horses and carts to access the crowned spur.

Optional button

Cité Royale de Loches

The Royal City of Loches, in Indre-et-Loire, is made up of several historical monuments.There is the keep and the royal residence, but also the Saint-Ours collegiate church and the Lansyer Museum, the Departmental Council and the municipality of Loches play an essential role in the management and maintenance of the rich Royal City of Loches.This heritage is part of the Châteaux de la Loire.In Gothic and Flamboyant Gothic style, this heritage represents one of the treasures offered by the Loire Valley.

Optional button

Château de Chenonceau

Located in the department of Indre-et-Loire, the Château de Chenonceau is the most visited private historical monument in France.Also called the "Château des Dames" (because it was built and decorated almost exclusively by women), Chenonceau was built by Katherine Briçonnet in 1513, then decorated and enhanced by Diane de Poitiers, Catherine de Médicis, before being savedby Madame Dupin at the time of the French Revolution.

Optional button

Forteresse Royale de Chinon

The Royal Fortress of Chinon has the distinction of being between three provinces: Anjou, Poitou and Touraine.Established in Indre-et-Loire, this place has always been a strategic site, and this since Antiquity.It was in the 10th century that a castle was built by Henri II Plantagenêt, count of Anjou and king of England in 1154. The latter will also give this place its current silhouette by building a new palace on theFort Saint George.At the beginning of the 14th century, the fortress was at the center of an important event.Indeed, the Grand Master Jacques de Molay and other high dignitaries of the Order of the Templars were imprisoned there, then tried and burned.After a difficult period, the Royal Fortress of Chinon was handed over free of charge to the General Council.The latter launched an unprecedented restoration project on the European continent.The goal is to restore the fortress to its beauty and splendour.

Optional button

Château De Valmer

Built during the 16th century in the town of Chançay in a Renaissance style, the Château lost its main body in 1948 during a major fire.The other buildings, the 60-hectare park and the gardens were preserved, and are still occupied today by the Saint-Venant family, owners of the estate since 1888.According to tradition, the Château de Valmer would have belonged during its history to King Charles VII in person.The constructions and development of the park are the result of the will of Sieur Thomas Bonneau, Advisor to King Louis XIII, who bought the Château in May 1640

Optional button

Château du Rivau

The Château du Rivau is located in Lémeré, just 40 minutes from Saumur and less than an hour from Tours.It invites you into the heart of an imaginary world, where history rubs shoulders with contemporary art and where old stones mingle with the colorful flowers of the gardens.Cross the drawbridge and enter the heart of this medieval fortress which, with its keep and walkway, looks like a real fairytale castle.

Optional button

Château Gaillard

An amazing journey through time in Amboise.Very close to the places that hosted the genius of Leonardo da Vinci and the splendor of the court of the Château d'Amboise, it is at the Royal Domain of Château Gaillard that you will discover a hidden and then forgotten treasure.Five years of titanic work have restored the light, the harmony, the infinite beauty of a small piece of Italy in Touraine.Witness in a single journey the birth of the Renaissance, set like a rainbow in the garden of France.

Optional button

Château de Langeais

The castle of Langeais is one of the Castles of the Loire, of Medieval and Renaissance style, it is located in the department of Indre-et-Loire. This monument was rebuilt in 1465 by Louis XI, it replaced the first fortified castle which had been built by Foulques Nerra at the end of the 10th century. The Château de la Loire has been classified since March 13, 1922 as a historical monument.
December 6, 1491, is a historic date. It is the day of the marriage of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany, this marriage marks the beginning of the attachment of the Duchy of Brittany to the Kingdom of France.
After the 15th century, the Château de Langeais experienced a difficult time. Indeed, it was sold to various people and was not maintained. And this until 1886, when Jacques Siegfried, a well-known businessman and great lover of medieval art, bought the castle. The next twenty years were devoted to restoring and refitting the interior. In 1904, he made the decision to donate the château and its entire large collection to the Institut de France. The latter has since kept the property.

Optional button

Château d’Ussé

The castle of Sleeping Beauty!Located in Rigny-Ussé, in Indre-et-Loire, the Château d'Ussé was built in the 15th century.Of medieval and Renaissance inspirations, it is the current property of the 7th Duke of Blacas who opens it to the public.The Château d'Ussé enjoys a very interesting location.It is built just 33 kilometers west of Tours and 14 kilometers from Chinon, on the banks of the Indre, a tributary of the Loire.

Optional button

Château du Clos Lucé

The Château du Clos Lucé: the last home of Leonardo da VinciClos Lucé in AmboiseThe Château du Clos Lucé, built in 1500, is located in the city center of Amboise in the heart of the Loire Valley.It has long been called the manor of Cloux.Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this castle housed Leonardo da Vinci for three years until his death on May 2, 1519.In Renaissance style, this Château de la Loire is today the property of the Saint Bris family.Open to the general public, it gives them the opportunity to discover the world of Leonardo da Vinci.Legend has it that in 1516, Leonardo da Vinci left the Italian capital on the back of a mule.At 64, he simply left with his sketchbooks and three paintings, now on display at the Louvre Museum.François 1er, King at the time, named him "First Painter, Engineer and Architect" of the King and gave him the Château du Clos Lucé.

Optional button

Château de Montrésor

This Château de la Loire is located in Indre-et-Loire, about fifty kilometers south-east of Tours.It all started in 1005, when Foulques Nerra, Count of Anjou, decided to build a fortress to defend himself against his enemy, Count Eudes de Blois.Subsequently, Imbert de Bastarnay, lord of Bouchage, had a Renaissance residence built in addition, based on the constructions of the medieval fortress.This lord is one of the most important men in the country at the time.Indeed, he served four kings of France: Louis XI, Charles VIII, Louis XII and François 1er.Before dying, at the age of 85 (an exceptional age for the time), he had the collegiate church of Montrésor built, which served as his final resting place.Subsequently, the estate experienced a rather meager period in events and renovation.

Optional button

Château de Montpoupon

Montpoupon castle is located in Indre-et-Loire, east of Tours, 10 km south of Montrichard and a few km from Chenonceau castle on the road to Loches, in a valley, in the heart of aForest.It depends on the municipality of Céré-la-Ronde.It has been classified as a historical monument since January 1966.In the Middle Ages, the castle was a strategic stronghold since it was located halfway between Loches (in the hands of Foulques Nerra) and Montrichard (belonging to Eudes de Blois).He will thus be the silent spectator of the struggles between the two men

Optional button

Château de Gizeux

The castle of Gizeux is a castle dating from the Middle Ages and remodeled over the centuries, especially during the Renaissance and the 18th century.Located in the town of Gizeux, within the Loire-Anjou-Touraine Regional Natural Park, on the borders of the former province of Anjou, it is one of the castles of the Loire.Its facades extend over 250 meters in length, making it the longest castle in Angevin Touraine.The castle of Gizeux is located about fifteen kilometers north of Bourgueil and 25 kilometers from Saumur.It is integrated into the Loire-Anjou-Touraine regional natural park, a green and wooded region.The estate is halfway between Angers and Tours.The castle was part of the former province of Anjou and is now located in the Angevine Touraine.It was built on the site of an old 14th century fortified castle.

Optional button

Château de l’Islette

The Château de l'Islette is a 16th century castle located in Azay-le-Rideau in Indre-et-Loire, 2 kilometers west of Azay-le-Rideau.This building is one of the Renaissance style monuments.The Château de l'Islette estate is crossed by the course of the Indre, which acts as a natural border between two towns in the Indre-et-Loire, Azay-le-Rideau on the right bank and Cheillé on theleft.The entrance gate to the estate is located on the right bank while the monument itself is located on the opposite bank.

Optional button

Château de Nitray

The Château de Nitray is located in the town of Athée-sur-Cher, in the department of Indre-et-Loire.The castle has been listed as a historic monument since December 17, 1947. The castle was built in the 16th century to replace an older castle, probably from the 13th century.The sponsor is Aimery Lopin, mayor of Tours and master of requests for Louise de Savoie, mother of François I.The castle of Nitray is characteristic of the Renaissance.Seventeen families have followed one another since its construction, including the family of Empire General Jean Jacques Liébert, from 1807 to 1922.

Optional button